Coolclean’s HACCP Certified hygiene services provide, safe, hygienic & energy efficient conditions for your cooling equipment.
Cooling towers can be fouled with sludge, dirt, biofilm and bacteria which reduce the thermal heat exchange capacity of the system. This in turn leads to increased energy consumption.
Dirty units that are scaled, and fouled, run hotter, corrode faster, break down, and cause chillers, compressors, or process equipment to fail.
Poorly maintained cooling towers can result in the carryover of chemically treated water & harmful bacteria such as Legionella into the atmosphere posing great health risks to employees, residents, and members of the general public.
Coolclean cooling tower hygiene services include the removal of air intake louvres, fill pack & drift eliminators, which allows our technicians to perform a thorough inspection of all the key components of the cooling tower. This enables our customers to keep their units in safe operational condition, reducing the risk of chemical and bacterial contamination into the environment.
Faulty air intake louvres
Water and chemical splash from cooling towers corrodes steel pipes – Roofing – and supports
BAC RCT leaking leg
Water and chemical leaking out of legs into stormwater drains
Damaged drift eliminators
Faulty installation could cause a Legionnaires Disease outbreak
Large hole found on drift eliminator
Holes and air gaps in drift eliminators allow chemicals to be blown over people, buildings, and vegetation causing health issues and impacting the environment
Air intake splash louvres
Holes cut in splash louvres allow water and chemicals to splash on the ground which can then run into creeks and rivers.
Energy savings and improved air quality
Air conditioning and refrigeration accounts for up to 60% of a business’ electricity consumption. In today’s competitive market, not only does it make sound financial sense to optimise HVAC&R systems, but cleaner indoor air can also improve occupant comfort, health and productivity.
Types of cooling equipment and HVAC& R systems:
- Fan Coil Units and Evaporators
- Air Handling Units
- Air Cooled Condensers
- Hybrid Systems
- Split Systems
Over time, HVAC coils dramatically deteriorate in performance – coils collect air-borne contaminants, becoming dirty and less efficient. A dirty coil is unable to supply correct heat transfer, and heat exchangers can use up to 47% more energy.
When running with dirty coils, a non-cleaned unit consumes about DOUBLE the electricity of a unit with clean condenser coils. This appears to be “higher hanging and yet unpicked fruit on the energy efficiency tree”. (Source: Facility Management Australia, ‘Significant savings from refrigerator and freezer coil cleaning’).
Cooling capacity can be reduced by up to 40%, while moisture around the evaporator coil and condensate pan can become a breeding ground for bacteria and mould.
Energy efficiency for buildings
It makes financial sense to optimise HVAC systems through cleaning and sanitisation.
Coolclean safely restores units to ‘as new’ efficiency.
Our technicians are fully trained and HACCP qualified to safely remove biofilm, mould and bacteria from coils and surfaces. We clean and sanitise all forms of air cooled equipment: Fan coil units, air handling units, condenser units, wall split systems, split ducted air conditioning, chillers, evaporators, exhaust fans, cold storage facilities and cool rooms.
Benefits of Coolclean HVAC Cleaning
- Reduced energy consumption, lower running costs.
- Improved indoor air quality and healthier buildings.
- Better temperature control and improved occupant comfort.
- Reduced product contamination, spoilage, and longer shelf life.
- Our products will not damage the coil surface compared to highly acidic or caustic cleaners.
- Environmentally friendly, fully biodegradable, with a pH equivalent to potable water.
- Compliant with AS/NZS1668.2 and AS/NZS3666.2
Improved air quality
- Break the contamination cycle. Air handling units, evaporators and fan coil units act as prime incubators to recirculate mould and bacteria throughout a building. Leaving mould spores and contaminants in HVAC systems can cause health issues and indoor air quality complaints.
- Established common mould-related sickness includes hayfever-like symptoms in response to allergies, and breathing difficulties from asthma and airway restriction. Active fungal growth can cause building occupants discomfort and irritation and increase the risk of respiratory illness. Fungal infection, inherently hard to treat, usually limited to those with pre-existing health conditions, severely impacts smaller numbers of people.
- Studies show that better indoor air quality can improve occupant health. Cleaner filters and coils minimise the spread of bacterial contaminants. It is therefore important to implement a pre-emptive plan to prevent biological growth in HVAC systems.
Coolclean Hygiene Protection
- Hygiene Protection ensures that HVAC systems maintain a high level of hygiene. By adding the option of hygiene protection to HVAC cleaning, your units will receive ongoing protection against mould and bacteria for many months.
- Performance validated by HACCP and CSIRO, the treatment cleans and removes contaminants from coils and surfaces, while the application of a residual biocide provides ongoing protection.
Coolclean Hygiene Protection is completed in 3 steps:
- Cleans:Patented antimicrobial multi-enzyme technology is used to break down and digest biofilm and other contaminants.
- Protects: The treatment is applied to create a biostatic protective coating on the surface. This provides residual protection to control, prevent, and inhibit mould, fungi and bacteria.
- Optimises:The unit is optimised to deliver better indoor air quality, energy efficiency, improved temperature control and corrosion control. The treatment protects assets from re-contamination and maintains overall system efficiency, saving up to 15% in electricity costs.